At home, I switch between three devices. My daily driver is a Razer Blade 15 Advanced (Late-2019). It’s primarily used for productivity tasks, software development, photo editing, virtual labs, gaming and game development (GameMaker Studio 2). The full specification can be found below:
- Razer Blade 15 Advanced (Late-2019)
- 2.6GHz 6-Core Intel i7-9750H (Turbo up to 4.5GHz)
- 64GB Corsair Vengeance Series 2666MHz DDR4 RAM
- 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus PCIe NVMe SSD
- Intel UHD Graphics 630
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q 8GB GDDR6
- 15.6-inch 4K OLED Touch DCI-P3 HDR400 Display (3840x2160)
I also have a 16-inch Apple MacBook Pro (NOV-2019), which is a secondary device providing native access to the Apple ecosystem for software development, video editing, etc. The full specification can be found below:
- 16-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display (NOV-2019)
- 2.4GHz 8-Core Intel i9-9980HK (Turbo up to 5.0GHz)
- 32GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM
- 1TB PCIe SSD
- Intel UHD Graphics 630
- AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB GDDR6
- 16-inch IPS P3 Display (3072x1920, 500nits)
Alongside my notebooks, I have a custom-built PC. The specification (listed below) is a couple of years old but still provides excellent overall performance. Although released in 2018, the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti is still a phenomenal graphics card, enabling high-performance Ray Tracing gaming.
- Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha (Intel Z170)
- Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz @ 4.6GHz
- Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler
- 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 PC4-24000C15 (15-17-17-35)
- 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2 PCI-e NVMe SSD
- PNY GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB XLR8 Gaming Overclocked Edition
- EVGA SuperNova P2 1000W ‘80 Plus Platinum’ PSU
- Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Mid Tower Case
- Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 Speakers
In total I have three displays, two 27-inch Dell U2718Q IPS HDR 4K monitors used for productivity and colour accurate work, as well as one 27-inch Dell 144Hz G-Sync monitor used for gaming. The exact model numbers are highlighted below:
- 2x Dell U2718Q IPS HDR 4K (3840x2160 / 60Hz / 5ms / HDR10)
- 1x Dell S2716DG TN G-Sync (2560x1440 / 144Hz / 1ms)
My workspace is kept fairly minimal, with all monitors mounted on third-party stands to help maximise desk space. The Razer Blade 15 Advanced and MacBook Pro connect to the monitors via a StarTech Dual-DisplayPort to ThunderBolt 3 Adapter, which provides a single-cable solution.
As you can see, for peripherals, I primarily use the Logitech Craft, Logitech MX Anywhere 2S and Logitech Brio Ultra HD Pro. The keyboard and mouse were selected as they include “Easy-Switch”, which makes it simple to toggle between multiple Bluetooth devices.
The image below provides a closer look at the Razer Blade, two Dell U2718Q IPS HDR 4K monitors and peripherals.
The far end of the desk provides access to the Dell S2716DG G-Sync monitor, which can be pushed flush against the wall. You can also see the Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 Speakers, which are connected to the PC and Mac. The flat desk edge provides a clean surface for additional peripherals, such as my flight controller (Saitek X-55) and steering wheel (Logitech G29).
As highlighted in the image below, the PC is hidden under the desk, with the case door exposed providing easy access to the components.
The desk itself and matching pedestal is from Three Counties Office Furniture. They are both designed for corporate use, therefore are hard-wearing and include integrated cable management.
Finally, I use a Herman Miller Setu chair, which includes the Kinematic Spine to control resistance and automatically support your weight as you recline.
At work, I use the Razer Blade and/or MacBook Pro (depending on the workload). To provide consistency with home, I leverage the same monitors (Dell U2718Q IPS HDR 4K), display adapter, and peripherals (e.g. Mouse, Keyboard, and Webcam).
The desk is very basic, with a simple dual-monitor stand. Similar to at home, I use a Herman Miller chair at work, however, due to the extended hours, it is the more robust Mirra 2. This chair includes a phenomenal amount of adjustment, ensuring all-day comfort.